Originally posted January 2012: Dull, dehydrated winter skin is once again a concern for a lot of my readers, so I thought I’d repost a pretty popular DIY tutorial from last year – enjoy guys!
So a few people have e-mailed me asking for advice on treating problematic winter skin…and here’s a really easy DIY treatment to get the ball rolling! This scrub is perfect because the lemon is chock full of vitamin C (which helps to increase collagen production and even out skin tone) and fruit acids – this means it’s going to help smooth out unevenness in texture, tone and help to reduce the size of enlarged pores. That being said – let’s get right into the tutorial!
Important Note: I know it’s a completely different seasonal worry…but if you’re a fan of fake tanners (much like myself) then this scrub is also fantastic at removing self tanner buildup and fading the appearance of “mishaps”.
Brightening Lemon Face and Body Scrub
What you’ll need:
- 1/2 cup of finely milled sea salt (or sugar). (The sea salt will really help to slough away dead skin cells and assist the lemon zest in brightening the skin.)
- 3 tablespoons of honey. (The honey works to kill surface bacteria – and also works against inflammation.)
- 1 teaspoon of finely grated lemon zest. (The lemon zest is naturally high in vitamin C which will help to increase elasticity and even out skin tone.)
- Stir all of the ingredients until well-blended.
- Rub the mixture vigorously over any dull or dry areas on the face or body.
- Rinse the mixture with lukewarm water.
See – wasn’t that easy!? I love the smell of this scrub in the morning (and if you use it in the morning you’ll notice that your makeup goes on much smoother too)! Instantly, your skin should have a boost in radiance and feel incredibly smooth – isn’t it amazing what we can whip together with just a few household ingredients?
You can check out another one of my popular DIY tutorials here!